lacrimsonfemme

La Crimson Femme

Safe Word (Carrieā€™s Story #2)
Molly Weatherfield
Ricochet
Xanthe Walter
In His Command
Rie Warren

Hungry Like the Wolf (SWAT)

Hungry Like the Wolf (SWAT) - Paige Tyler Give me more! Hungry like the Wolf makes a reader hunger for more in this series. Ms. Tyler is a new to me author and she kicks it off with a well written paranormal romantic suspense. Mackenzie "call me Mac" is a nosy reporter. She reminds people she is an investigative journalist not a lesser paid reporter. Regardless, when she sniffs out a story, she will not rest until she exposes every little detail because the Public has the right to know.

Right off the bat, I hate this character. Mac is a self-righteous busy body who thinks she knows what is best for everyone else. I have very little respect for her and hope she is shot. It is not to be. She is saved by the Dallas SWAT team who she's tried to expose for taking some kind of experimental enhancement drugs. What rubs me wrong about Mac is her belief that she can destroy other people's life and think that hers should be kept private. Hypocrite much? Gage Dixon is the commander of the SWAT team and also the Alpha of this pack. This is the secret he is keeping from all. When Mac threatens the pack, Gage takes a stance which is unpopular - he keeps his enemy closer.

The sexual tension between Gage and Mac is strong as pheromones and social constraints prevent them from copulating, even if Mac turns into a bitch in heat. Gage may want to hump her leg like a horny dog, but he is keeping his hands to himself. This is actually quite amusing as Mac can not believe her seduction to get what she wants is failing. When the two finally get it on, it's explosive. From an erotic standpoint, this story is good and the chemistry between the two main characters is decent.

The writing is smooth and the story is fast paced. There are no big surprises here. The story progression is as expected and the final conflict is resolved in a believable manner. The real driver of this story is not the plot, it's the characters and their epiphanies. It would be nice to learn more about this world as the werewolf mythos is barely touched upon here. There are many questions as to how werewolves have learned about themselves if they are all lone wolves. How do they know about packs? If they are isolated, how did they hear about the urban legends of "The One"? Ms. Tyler can strengthen her series if she spent a bit more time with the world building. She is already talented with character development and erotic scenes. Now if she ups her game with a meatier story, it will appeal to more readers. This paranormal romance is recommended for wolf lovers who enjoy alpha men in uniforms.

*provided by Edelweiss