lacrimsonfemme

La Crimson Femme

Safe Word (Carrieā€™s Story #2)
Molly Weatherfield
Xanthe Walter
In His Command
Rie Warren

Blood Mate

Blood Mate - Kitty Thomas Ripping apart soul mates is so wrong I don't even know where to being. Ms. Thomas does another mind-fuckery on me in this story. I come to expect a little bit of twisting things the wrong way yet making it kind of right. Ms. Thomas doesn't disappoint in this one.

Nicole and Dominic have a marriage most would kill to have. Even after ten years, they are still frolicking in a honeymoon phase. When Nicole catches the eye of August, it's all over. She's the one who can break his curse of killing every night. In order to get Nicole, August does some horrible things.

This begs the question of does the means justify the ends? I'm all twisted up inside as I feel for August yet I'm also sad for Nicole. Dominic is just caught in the middle. If this could be m??nage it would make a happily ever after for me. However, Ms. Thomas doesn't do happily ever afters and this story is yet another evidence of her dark mind. The conflicts she brings up in this story are good. They are no good answers and no easy way to make it work. This is representative of real life in the sense that sometimes, there are no good alternatives. While it is much lauded for win-win scenarios; the reality is there are more lose-lose scenarios. This story explores every avenue to make it work and I can't help but feel that everyone is screwed. There is not a single person or vampire in this story who is satisfied or happy.

I like this kind of book. I'm all torn up inside and I can't think of a way out. This kind of book makes me desperately think of solutions only to see Ms. Thomas knock each one of them down. When we hit rock bottom, she continues to drag us through the sludge. I don't know how this story is going to end and I enjoy that uncertainty.

There is minimal sex in this story which is atypical of Ms. Thomas. What is in here is disturbingly sensuality mixed with death and sense of wrongness. The way August manipulates and blackmails Nicole is erotically intoxicating for me. I like it and keep thinking, take me! But seriously, this story is tug of war between lust and love. Which one will win out? Sometimes, the time is just not right and there are no good answers. Recommended for those who enjoy dark erotica with a bite.

*I received this book as a review copy in return for an honest review